Prism provides retailers with flexible and powerful password management features.
- User changes own password
- User (e.g. Manager) resets other user's password (e.g. because the employee forgot the password)
- The system prompts user's to change password after certain number of days
- Require strong password
- Enforce password history
User Changes own Password
- Log in to RP Prism using the old password.
- Click the Retail Pro button.
- Select Change Password on the Prism menu.
- Enter the New Password and then enter it again in the Confirm New Password field.
- Click Update.
Reset other user's Password
To reset a password, a user must belong to a group that is assigned the EMPLOYEE - RESET PASSWORD permission. This is typically reserved for managers or admin-level users. Resetting a password is necessary if an employee forgets his/her password, or if the password is compromised (e.g. via social engineering).
- Log in to Prism as an admin user.
- Click the Retail Pro button and select Store Operations > Employees > Employee Management
- Filter for the employee whose password you want to change.
- Select the employee's record and then click the Change Password button.
- Enter the New Password and confirm it. Click Update. If the Require password change check box is selected, the user will be prompted and required to change the password upon first login.
- Certain words are unable to be used as passwords: ‘welcome', 'database', 'account', 'user', 'password', 'oracle', 'computer', 'abcd', 'retailpro', 'rpro', 'islandpacific', 'ip', 'rti', 'rapidigm', 'design', 'sysadmin', 'admin', 'administrator', 'sqa', 'tech'
In Node Preferences > Employee > Policy you can set various preferences related to passwords. A few of the key settings are explained below. See the Employee Password Policy topic for more details.
Strong Password Specifications
If the Enforce Strong Passwords preference is selected in Node Preferences > Employee > Policy, passwords should contain at least one character from all four of the following groups
- Numbers: 0123456789
- Uppercase letters: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
- Lowercase letters: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
- Special characters: !"#$%&()``*+,-/:;<=>?_
The new password must have at least three characters that are different from the previous password.
Enforce Password History
If the Enforce Password History checkbox is selected in Node Preferences > Employee > Policy, then users are prevented from using the same password for the number of days specified.
Password Expires After
If the Password Expires After checkbox is selected in Node Preferences > Employee > Policy, then users will be prompted to change the password before the password expires (based on the number of days specified). By default, the number of days is set to 1. Set the desired number of days. For example, if the "Prompt changing password before expiration" is set to "7", then starting seven days before expiration, the user will be prompted to change the password upon login. The user can still continue, if desired.
Filtering for Employees
By default, the employee list will only search for employees who have a Home Store assignment for the current store being used in Prism. If the employee does not have a Home Store assigned in Retail Pro 9, then the employee will not show up in any searches. To search all employees, change the Store filter to All Stores.
- To toggle the display of the filter, click the Filters button.
- By default, the employee list will only search for employees who have a Home Store assignment for the current store being used in Prism. If the employee does not have a Home Store assigned in Retail Pro 9, then the employee will not show up in any searches.
- To search all employees, change the Store filter to All Stores.
- Enter other filter criteria as needed and click Search.
Sample employee list:
The following table has information about the filter fields:
|Search By option||Description|
|Subsidiary||Select the Subsidiary to search.|
|Store||Select to search a specific store or all stores for the selected Subsidiary
Active/Inactive/All You can limit the search to only Active employees, only Inactive employees or All.
|Active/Inactive/All||You can limit the search to only Active employees, only Inactive employees or All.|
|First Name||Search by employee's first name.|
|Last Name||Search by the employee's last (family) name.|
|Login||This option enables you to search by the Login Name field. The Login Name is the name the employee uses to log in to Retail Pro 9 and Prism (i.e. the username used when logging in to the program).|
|Specific Search||The Specific Search check box helps limit the search results to only the desired records. If the Specific Search checkbox is selected, then the user must enter more exact criteria and use a wildcard (*) when necessary. For example, with Specific Search selected, entering "k" will NOT find name "katie". However, entering "k*" (with * as a wildcard) will find "katie". If Specific Search is NOT selected, then entering "k" will find "katie".|