User-Defined Fields (UDFs)
User-defined fields (UDFs) enable retailers to define their own custom fields that are specific to their business or industry. UDF fields are assigned a label and a value (or date). These fields store virtually any type of data that the retailer needs to store. User-defined fields are available for the Inventory, Vendors, and Customers areas. You can edit the field labels and a list of entries to be available for selection for the Inventory and Vendor fields in the Admin Console preferences area.
- In Customers, 20 user-defined fields are available (one date field and 19 text fields).
- In Vendors, 14 user-defined fields are available (one date field and thirteen text fields).
- In Inventory, 14 user-defined fields are available (one date field and thirteen text fields).
Maximum Number of UDF fields
The UI allows users to define more than 14 Inventory UDF fields; however, only the first 14 are available for use in Prism.
Maximum Number of UDF Values per UDF field
Users can define as many UDF values per UDF field as needed; however, during replication of UDFs, the server checks how many UDF values belongs to eac UDF. If more than 500, the UDF values are not replicated at all. This applies to UDF values assigned to customer/inventory/vendor/employee.
Basic Steps for UDFs
- Navigate to the appropriate area of preferences (e.g. Merchandise > Inventory > UDF).
- Define the menu label. Click in the desired UDF field and type the text for the menu label.
- Select the UDF field you defined in the dropdown.
- Define the individual entries that will be available for selection in the UDF field.
Permissions for Manually Entering UDF Values
A set of permissions control the ability of employees to make free-form entries in UDF fields in inventory, vendors and customers. Unless a user has the "Allow Manual Entry of UDF Values" permission for the area, the user will be limited to the dropdown selections in UDF fields. Using these new permissions helps ensure consistency in UDF field entries, which in turn helps produce consistent and meaningful reports.
Sample Inventory UDF Fields