The AppCard plugin enables retailers to use the AppCard loyalty solution. This document explains how to install and configure the plugin for Prism.
The topic explains how to:
- Install the AppCard Plugin
- Configure related preferences
- Configure the AppCard Plugin
- Use the Plugin at POS
(Note: The PDF linked above includes information about installing/configuring App Card in legacy versions of Retail Pro as well as Prism.).
Install RP Prism AppCard Plugin
1. Navigate to the location of the Prism AppCard for Prism setup.exe file. Right-click on the file icon an select "Run as Administrator." Click Next.
2. Navigate to the location of the Apache folder and click Next.
3. Confirm the install directory and click Install.
4. Click Finish when the install is complete.
5. Clear the cache for the browser that you use with Prism.
Configure RP Prism Preferences
As part of the configuration process, you need to define the Reason codes that will be available for selection when a user configures the AppCard Plugin. In addition to defining the Reason codes, you should make sure preferences for spreading global discounts are disabled.
Node Preferences > System > Reasons and Notes > Discounts
1. Navigate to Node Preferences > System > Reasons and Notes > Discounts
2. Add the following Discount Reasons:
3. Click the Save button to save the changes.
Node Preferences > Transactions > Discounts
Clear the "Allow global discount to be spread on" check box for both Receipts and Sales Orders.
Clear the "Accumulate Manual Discounts" and "Accumulate Spread Discounts" check boxes. Save the changes and exit preferences.
Configure RP Prism AppCard Plugin
After the installation is finished, AppCardConfig.exe will launch (unless you cleared the checkbox). This .exe file provides an interface for configuring the AppCard Plugin. You can find information about each of the fields in the Configuration Fields section (the same fields are available for legacy versions of Retail Pro).
1. On the Customization Config tab, enter the server information and login credentials. Click Connect to Server.
2. Next, navigate to the Store tab in the lower part of the dialog (see below). On the Store tab of the Configuration screen is a set of Reason selection dropdowns and other fields. Select the reason that will be used for each dropdown. Refer to the Configuration Fields tables for more information. If your retail business practices call for spreading global discounts, you must enable the "Apply loyalty credit as return line item" AppCard configuration setting. See the "Retailers who must Spread Global Discounts" section of this document for details.
3. Click the Workstation tab. Select the Subsidiary and Store. Select your Workstation, enter the PIN and click Provision.
|Prism server||The machine name of the Prism server.|
|Username||The username used to log in to the server.|
|Password||The password for the entered username.|
|Connect to Server||Click Connect to Server. When the connection is established, proceed with configuring the Plugin.|
|Subsidiary||Select the Subsidiary from the dropdown.|
|Loyalty Gift Reason||Select the GIFT reason that you defined in preferences.|
|Loyalty Credit Reason||Select the CRED reason that you defined in preferences.|
|Loyalty Discount % Reason||Select the DISC reason that you defined in preferences.|
|Apply Loyalty Credit as Line Item||
This setting enables tracking of loyalty credits via a special designated line item. To apply loyalty credit as a line item, each store needs to create a line item in their Retail Pro inventory (Retail Pro Prism, 9 and 8):
The UPC is entered in the Return Line Item UPC field (see below). At POS, the line item will be added automatically based on the user's actions on the AppCard Reward screen.
|Return Line Item UPC||Enter the UPC of the line item to use for tracking loyalty credits.|
|Get Item Description from||Select the Item Description field from which item descriptions will be pulled.|
|Get Customer Phone Type||Select the field from which Customer phone number will be pulled.|
|Save Redeem Phone Type||Select whether to save the phone used to redeem credits.|
Sample Customization Config - Store tab:
Sample Customization Config - Workstation tab
|Subsidiary||Select the subsidiary from the dropdown|
|Store||Select the workstation's store from the dropdown|
|Show all workstations||If selected, all workstations are shown. If not selected, only the current user's workstation is shown.|
|Workstation||Select the desired Workstation from the dropdown|
|PIN||Enter the PIN assigned to the workstation.|
Sample Customization Config - Workstation config tab:
Module Config Tab
On the Module Config screen, set log and server settings. Define Prism server settings. Click Save when finished.
|Log Level||The level of logging to perform. Default = Verbose|
|Log Retention Days||The number of days' logs to keep before deleting automatically. Default = 30|
|Log Buffer Size||Log buffer size. Default = 0|
|Server||Machine name of the Prism server.|
|Username||Username of the Prism user.|
|Password||Password for the entered username.|
|Database Type||Default = Oracle|
Sample module config tab:
Offline Config Tab
These settings come into play when the connection to the AppCard server is lost.
|Transaction Processing Delay||The number of milliseconds to wait before processing the next transaction.|
|Requests Processing Interval||The number of minutes to wait before making a request to the processor.|
|File Retention Time||The number of hours that offline files will be retained.|
Sample Offline Config tab:
AppCard at POS - Prism
1. Enter Retail Pro and create a receipt. When items are populated in the receipt, the AppCard Rewards button is displayed on the Prism menu.
2. Click the AppCard Rewards button.
3. Enter your phone number as a test. Assuming you have the AppCard app on your smartphone, this will verify a push notification.
4. Go into the AppCard Redeem Portal. Enter the correct email address and password unique to this merchant. This only has to be done once.
5. Click Submit Transaction in the redeem portal. Click Close on the bottom of the redeem portal window
6. Complete the transaction and tender out the sale. (Note: You can void the transaction afterwards. This is only for test purposes)
7. Verify the push notification on your mobile phone.
8. Verify with the merchant that the description of the items on the digital receipt is what the merchant would want to show to the customer.
Retailers who must Spread Global Discounts
By default, we recommend that you disable the preferences related to spreading discounts; however, some retailers need to spread discounts. If your retail business practices require spreading global discounts, you must use the "Apply Loyalty Credit as Line Item" setting. Here's how it works:
Each store needs to create a line item in their Retail Pro inventory for each version: Retail Pro Prism, 9 and 8.
- Set Description 1 =to APPCARD REWARDS (best practice)
- Configure this item as a non-inventory item
- Set the price to $0.01 item price (best practice)
- Set a unique UPC (Item # in Retail Pro 8,)
After the item is defined, go to the AppCard configuration screen and select the "Apply Loyalty Credit as Line Item" check box. Enter the item's UPC in the Return Line Item UPC text field. At POS, the designated item is added automatically to the receipt based on the user's actions on the AppCard Reward screen.
Configure Pre-Production Test Environment for AppCard
If you are using the AppCard plugin for Retail Pro in a test or lab environment, you need to adjust two different configuration files to use the AppCard preproduction web service in place of the production web service.
In the files, you must change the webservice from https://api.appcard.com to https://preprod.appcard.com.
Here are the files to change:
- (All versions of Retail Pro) appcard.ini file: This is a configuration file used by Retail Pro Prism, 9 and 8.
- (Prism only) appcard_httpd.conf file: This is a configuration file used by Prism's Apache web service.
Note: You also must receive unique AppCard credentials and provisioning PIN number(s) for use with the preproduction environment.
Location of appcard.ini file
The following table shows where to find the appcard.ini file for the version of your Retail Pro system.
|Retail Pro 9||C:\RetailPro9\appcard.ini|
|Retail Pro 8||C:\Retail\appcard.ini|
Location of appcard_httpd.conf file
C:\Program Files (x86)\ApacheSoftwareFoundation\Apache\conf\appcard\appcard_httpd.conf
The AppCardModule.ini file contains configuration settings for the AppCard.
|LOG_LEVEL||The log level being used by the service. 3 = most detail; 1 = least detail.|
|RETENTION_COUNT||The number of transactions that will be retained.|
|BUFFER_SIZE||The buffer size being used. Default = 0.|
|WEBSERVICE_URL||The URL of the API Card service.|
|API_KEY||The secret key that must be used when making API calls.|
|PRISM_DATABASE||The name of the Prism database.|
|EXTRAS_CONNECTSTR||The database being used.|
|PRISM_SERVER||FQDN or IP Address of the Prism server.|
|PRISM_USER_PWD||Displays a hash of the user's password.|
|PRISM_WORKSTATION||The Prism workstation where AppCard is installed.|