Rename Prism Server
About the Rename Server Tool
The Rename Server tool performs important reconfiguration that is needed when renaming a server in Windows System Properties. The reconfiguration performed by the tool ensure the renamed server can rejoin the Prism enterprise under the new name.
Differences between Rename Server Tool in 1.14.7 and 2.0
- In 1.14.7, the tool was called the "Reconfigure Host Computer" tool. In 2.0, it is called "Rename Server."
- In 1.14.7, the process was divided into two separate steps with a reboot required after the first step. In 2.0, this is a one-step process with an enhanced after-reboot program that now performs all the former "Step 2" processes (e.g., updating Prism tables, restarting services and installing RabbitMQ Shovel program).
- Users used to have access to the tool while connected to an enterprise; now, the option is hidden on the menu if the machine is connected to the enterprise. This enforces the restriction that the tool only be run on the local machine.
- The process described in this document requires disconnecting data links between servers; therefore, the process should be done when no sales or other activity is taking place.
- This tool is intended for use only on a server used to host Prism and running RabbitMQ.
- This tool is intended to be used only in conjunction with computer name changes not for changes like changing or joining workgroups or domains.
- Before changing the computer name, ensure that all Prism activity has ceased on the server and that Prism has left the enterprise if it was joined to a POA.
- After renaming the server in Windows, you will be prompted to restart the computer. DO NOT RESTART the computer when prompted by Windows. Instead launch the Rename Server tool and run the process.
- Do not simultaneously make other configuration changes immediately prior to or during use of the Rename Server tool. For example, if the computer is joined to a domain, do not leave the current domain, or leave and rejoin the current domain or another domain. The same restriction applies for Workgroups. Also, do not change DNS settings.
- If several Prism host computers that are connected to a POA or to other Prisms need to have names changed, before changing the names and using this tool: All affected Prism servers must leave the enterprise and have no Prism connections. Then change the name on each computer, running this tool to complete the reconfiguration process for each system. This can be done simultaneously. Each computer should re-join the enterprise.
Step 1. Change the computer name in Windows
The interface and steps to change the computer name in Windows will vary depending on your version of Windows. Please consult Windows documentation for the steps for your version of Windows. After renaming the server in Windows, DO NOT RESTART THE COMPUTER!
Step 2. Run the Rename Server tool
Login to the TTK. You must log in to the computer with the credentials of the user that installed Prism and RabbitMQ. If Prism was installed by a different user than installed RabbitMQ, log in as the user that installed RabbitMQ.
The enterprise servers are listed on the left. Click the hamburger menu for the desired server and select the Rename Server option. When you select the Rename Server option on the server menu, a new modal is displayed. The old name is on the left and the new name is on the right.
Click Execute Rename.
Step 3. System Processes and Reboot
The process takes some time. The user will see some ‘error' messages as services are being configured. After a short period Windows will automatically reboot.
Step 4. Login and Complete Process
Once the process is completed, reconnect the server to the enterprise. Reconfiguration is not complete the server is rejoined to the enterprise.
Messages displayed during the Rename Process
Different messages are displayed to describe the work being done behind the scenes during the Rename Server process. Allow the process to continue until finished.
Sample Message upon completion of RabbitMQ re-configuration:
When the process is finished, the Close button will be enabled. Click Close.
Rejoin the Enterprise
After the Rename Server process has finished, rejoin the host computer to the enterprise (Note: If the host has any subordinate servers, rejoin those subordinates to the host first).
Regenerate SSL Certificates
If Prism or RabbitMQ are using SSL, their certificates must be regenerated after the rename process completes. After regenerating the certificate for Prism, you may use the Prism Tech Toolkit SSL Manager to apply the new certificate.