Leave the Enterprise
Extreme caution must be used when leaving/rejoining the enterprise. If a server leaves and then later rejoins the enterprise, the server must rejoin in exactly the same position as it was in before. The Prism controller hierarchy, which provides the way to track all activity within an enterprise, can be easily disrupted by servers leaving and then rejoining the enterprise in a different position. In other words, once the enterprise structure has been set, it shouldn't be rearranged.
Leaving the enterprise is sometimes necessary due to store closings or changes in the corporate hierarchy. Leaving the enterprise will remove records from the POA and local machine. Later, the machine can rejoin the same POA, if desired. This enables retailers to adapt to changing circumstances while maintaining the integrity of the replication hierarchy.
Important! Disconnect the RIL Connection First
Neither removing or leaving will change the RIL connection. It is important that you disconnect the RIL connection. This can be done manually in the Connection Manager > RIL Dashboard area of the Admin Console. If the machine is connected to the network, it will try to communicate with the old RIL.
Removing a server from the enterprise is intended for the case when a machine is down and will not be brought back online; therefore, it cannot properly leave the enterprise. If a machine will be brought back online then the recommended practice is to bring the machine back online and leave the enterprise.
To disconnect the RIL connection, navigate to the RIL Dashboard > Connections area. Highlight the connection and click Disconnect.
Leaving Rules and Notes
When leaving the enterprise:
- The RIL connection is left in place. You must manually remove this connection. If you don't remove the connection, data may continue to be sent from the Prism server to the old RIL Oracle database.
- Unless otherwise noted, all the data from the enterprise remains on both sides of the separation.
- The Controller records for the opposite side of the separation are archived.
- The Remote Connection records connecting each side are deleted
About Replacing the RIL Connection
Best practices call for disconnecting any RIL connections before leaving the enterprise; however, if you want a Prism server to communicate with a different RIL, you must do the following:
- Delete the connection to the old RIL
- Add a connection to the new RIL
- Replace the RIL Address in the Installation Defaults area of preferences so it has the new RIL's address
Leave the enterprise:
- Before leaving the enterprise, be sure to disconnect the Prism server's RIL connection(s). If the Prism server is still connected to a RIL machine, it will continue to try to communicate with the RIL. To disconnect the RIL connection, navigate to the RIL Dashboard > Connections area. Highlight the connection and click Disconnect.
- Go into the Prism Technician's Toolkit.
- Select the connection that you want to leave the enterprise.
- Click the Leave the Enterprise button.
- Enter login credentials for this server's POA. Click OK.
- Add a new connection to the new RIL
- Edit the RIL Address in the Installation Defaults area of preferences.