Installing Retail Pro Prism 1.14.7 with MySQL 8
The Retail Pro Prism 1.14.7 release includes new functionality that includes the support of MySQL 8.0. Previous Retail Pro Prism versions only supported MySQL 5.7.
If you are interested in utilizing MySQL 8.0 as the database for your new Retail Pro Prism installation, please read below for some important notes.
Oracle recently released MySQL version 8.0.22; however, it is not currently supported and attempting to install Prism Server onto this version will fail. Version 8.0.21 is currently the recommended and supported version if using MySQL 8.
You also have the option to continue using your current MySQL versions instead of upgrading to MySQL 8.0.21. In doing so, you would not have the benefits of performance optimization, bug fixes, new functionality, or security updates that may come with upgrading.
Error from attempting to install Prism Server on MySQL 8.0.22
You may have also noticed in the "Prism 18.104.22.1682. What's New in This Release" that the 32-bit binaries are still required. This refers to the folder that you download and extract or copy over from another location such as a network drive without installing anything. This is different from the .msi file which is downloaded and actually installed.
How to install RP Prism with MySQL 8.0.21
For convenience, here are steps and links you may use to install RP Prism with MySQL 8.0.21.
- System setup. Verify the computer meets all requirements and configure its security, hostname, networking, etc.
- Download C++ files. Download and install a total of four C++ redistributable files from the following: Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 and Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015.
- Download 32-bit MySQL installer. Go to MySQL Community Downloads, click "No thanks, just start my download," and then extract the file to the desired location. At this point, nothing is actually installed, so you could save this to a network drive for future use on other servers.
- Download and install the 64-bit MySQL MSI file. Go to MySQL Product Archives, verify the Product Version, and download the community MSI installer. The installer is 32-bit but the application itself is 64-bit. Run the installer and follow the prompts.
- Install RP Prism. During the RP Prism server installation, you will need to specify the 32-bit MySQL Server folder. This will be the location of the folder you extracted in step 3.