Prism provides retailers with the ability to both award and redeem coupons at point of sale. Coupons are awarded and redeemed as part of Promotions. Typically, one promotion is set up that will award a coupon to a customer when the promotion is validated. Another promotion is set up to apply some type of discount when the coupon is presented and scanned at POS. The Coupons button on the main transaction form provides access to an interface for working with coupons.
There are two types of coupons available: standard and coupon sets. The table below explains the differences.
|Standard||Standard coupons are issued on a single coupon basis. You can define the Start and End Date for the coupon and how much of a discount the customer will receive when the coupon is entered on a transaction.|
A coupon set enables you to define various options and auto-generate coupons. Options include how often coupons in the set can be used (once, unlimited, or a specific count). When generating coupons, you can apply a prefix that helps with identification and tracking.
Sample Coupons interface on transaction:
Coupons are configured in the Promotions module. Coupons are different from other promotions in that a coupon will typically be a part of two promotions:
- A promotion of type "Coupon" in which one or more coupons are awarded to a customer.
- A separate promotion (e.g. type "Transaction," "Item," or "BOGO") in which the specified coupons can be redeemed to receive a discount on an item or transaction.
You can create promotions that award customers coupons for purchases above a certain subtotal, for purchases of certain items, or other POS actions.
"Apply" Setting on Coupons
A key setting for coupons is the Apply [Once/Unlimited/Number] setting. This setting enables you to specify how many times a coupon can be used to validate a promotion. By default, a coupon can be used only once; however, you can change the setting to a certain count or to unlimited.
|Once||Current behavior. Each coupon code entry at POS can validate the promotion once. Further applications of the promotion require more code entries.|
|Unlimited||Requested behavior. Each coupon code entry at POS can validate the promotion unlimited times. Further applications of the promotion do not require more code entries|
|Count||Each coupon code entry at POS can validate the promotion (up to) a specific number of times. Further application (past limit) of the promotion require more code entries.|
The serialized coupons feature provides retailers with a versatile tool for managing coupons as part of a coupon set.
Basic Steps for Serial Coupons
- In the Promotions area, add a new coupon set.
- Generate the coupons associated with the coupon set.
- Create a promotion that references the coupon set. The coupons in a coupon set can be referenced on the Validation Rules screen or the Reward Rules screen, depending on whether the coupons will validate a promotion or be issued as a reward.
- Issue and redeem the coupons at POS.
- A serial coupon is a unique coupon code that can be used at POS and whose status can be tracked
- A coupon set is a batch of serial coupons that can be assigned to promotions for validation or reward
Serial Coupon Security Permissions
You can control employee access to the serial coupon feature with the following permission: System > Manage Coupons. Only users with the permission can work with coupon sets.
New Coupon Set
- On the main POS screen, click the Promotions button.
- Click the Coupons button on the bottom toolbar.
- Click the New button on the bottom toolbar.
- Enter information for the coupon set.
- When you are finished entering details for the coupons set, click the Create button.
- The screen refreshes and a new set of buttons becomes available. Click the Generate button
- On the screen that is displayed, in the Count field, enter how many coupon codes you want to generate. Click OK. A list of codes is generated. Note: If the Issued check box is selected, then the generated coupon codes will be marked as "Issued". If the check box is cleared, then coupon codes won't be marked as Issued until the code is issued at POS.
Sample Create Coupon Set:
Coupon Set Fields
|Set ID||(Required) Enter an identifier for the coupon set.|
|Set Name||(Required) Enter a name for the coupon set.|
|Code Prefix||Six-characters maximum. Enter the prefix that each coupon will have at the beginning of the code.|
|Set Start Date||The date when coupons in the coupon can be used at POS. Click the Calendar icon to select the first date when coupons in the set will be valid.|
|Set End Date||The date when coupons in the coupon set can no longer be used at POS. Click the Calendar icon to select the last date when coupons in the set will be valid.|
|Allowed Use|| Select how often individual coupons in the coupon set can be used.
Once: Coupons in the set can only be used once.
Unlimited: Coupons in the set can be used an unlimited number of times.
Count: Coupons in the set can be used a specific count.
|Set Start Date when Issued||The system will set the start date to be a certain number of days after the coupon is issued.|
|Set End Date when Issued||You can set the end date to be a certain number of days after the coupon is issued.|
|Generate Codes when Unavailable||If selected, when all available coupon codes have been used, new coupon codes will be automatically generated when needed.|
Generate Coupons for Coupon Set
The next part of the process is to generate the coupons for the coupon set.
- When you are finished entering details for the coupon set, click the Create button.
- The screen refreshes and a new set of buttons becomes available.
- Click the Generate button.
- On the screen that is displayed, in the Count field, enter how many coupon codes you want to generate.
- Click OK. A list of codes is generated.
If the Issued check box is selected, then the generated coupon codes will be marked as "Issued". If the check box is cleared, then coupon codes won't be marked as "Issued" until the code is issued at POS.
Edit Serial Coupon Code
To edit a coupon code, select the code and click the Edit button. You can edit the Coupon Code and/or Start and End Dates.
Create Promotion and Assign Coupon Set as Validation or Reward
You can assign a Coupon Set as either a validation or a reward on a promotion.
- If a coupon set is referenced on the Validation screen, then a customer must present the coupon at POS to receive the promotion's reward.
- If a coupon set is referenced on the Reward screen, then a customer will be rewarded with a coupon from the coupon set at POS (when the customer's purchases validate the promotion).
Assign Coupon Set as Promo Validation
On the Validation Rules screen, you will see a checkbox for Coupon.
If you click the Coupon checkbox, a Serialized checkbox is added to the UI. Click the Serialized checkbox.
When you click the Serialized check box, a dropdown for selecting a Coupon Set is displayed. Select the desired Coupon Set. (to add a new coupon set, click the Plus sign icon)
Assign Coupon Set on Promotion Reward Rules
- On the Reward Rules screen, you will see a Coupon check box. If you click the Coupon check box, a Serialized check box is added to the display. Click the Serialized checkbox.
- A dropdown for assigning a Coupon Set is displayed. Select the desired Coupon Set from the dropdown. Save the changes.
Import Coupons (via .csv file)
Instead of having Prism generate the list of coupon codes, you can import a .csv file that has a comma-separated list of codes. Prism will use the codes in the .csv file when generating coupon codes. This is especially useful when you want complete control over the numbers assigned to the generated coupons.
On the Coupon Set screen, click the Import button. In the Import File field, click Choose File and navigate to the location of the .csv file. Select the file and click Open. Click OK to close the Import screen.
Import Coupons via .csv file: