Managing Your Retail Pro Reporting Licenses
As Retail Pro Reporting is deployed more broadly on Retail Pro systems, the volume of incidents related to the use and deployment of Krunch licensing has become a frequent topic.
In most cases, Retail Pro Tech Support may facilitate you with deployment troubleshooting, reinstallation, and emergency reissuing of keys for your Krunch Product.
However, once a key has been configured and deployed to a system or enterprise, modifications to reduce the seat count would result in a fee generated by the license-holders Slicer Pte. LLC.
By gaining a proper understanding of key management features of the Krunch license, a user can avoid such issues and fees associated with modifications.
To begin, once you've purchased your Retail Pro Prism Reporting product, the Retail Pro Finance team will issue a pool of unassigned seats to your product UID.
The creation of a new IN (Installation Number) for your UID is free. A UID-IN combination represents a grouping and will be assigned a single key. You may assign any number of unassigned seats to any number of INs created at any time before or after deployment of those keys.
Generally, customers will assign 1 seat to several UID-Ins, resulting in an individual key for each seat.
Some may assign several seats to a department, store or subsidiary, resulting in custom distribution of seats to keys.
The advantages and disadvantages to these deployments are as follows.
[1 seat / 1 key]
- Single-seat UID-Ins may be very convenient when resetting a password, moving the installation from one system or location to another. If the BP can provide the UID-IN for any system affected, a migratory, password or emergency key-reissue can be facilitated with little delay.
- The customer/BP must be aware of the UID-IN applied to each system. There is no method for RPI to internally see on which machines a Krunch license has been activated.
- If at any time a customer chooses to change from a one-to-one UID-IN to a grouped UID-IN after those keys have been assigned, each UID-IN requiring a reduction in seats will incur a $50 fee from the license-holders, Slicer Pte. LLC. A customer could be faced with a cumulatively large fee to modify their overall deployment.
[Many Sites / 1 Key]
- Key assignments themselves are logical, assuming the locations intend to grow or stay the same size. This method makes for sensible tracking, deployment, and management of a large-scale deployment.
- If a location were to downsize and those seats were needed in another UID-IN, each UID-IN requiring a reduction in seats will incur a $50 fee from the license-holders, Slicer Pte. LLC. In most cases, this would not accumulate to a larger fee.
- If an emergency key-reissue must be performed for a UID-IN, the entire seat-count must be touched once to update the license. Usually, this can be achieved by restarting the Krunch/MongoDB services or running Krunch setup on each machine individually. This may represent a challenge that should be coordinated in advance for large-scale or geographically distant deployments.
Choosing seat assignments is an important prerequisite to installing Krunch on your system. You may always leave a pool of seats unassigned and assign them freely to a new or existing UID-IN, but any attempt to remove a seat from a UID-IN to an unassigned state will cost $50 per UID-IN affected.