Chapter 20. ASN Vouchers
Advance Shipping Notices (ASNs) list merchandise being shipped to a store. ASNs are used for two primary purposes in Prism:
- When transferring merchandise from one store to another, updating an out slip (moving merchandise out of the source store's inventory) will generate an ASN voucher. At the target store, a user can generate a voucher from the ASN to receive the merchandise into the target store's inventory.
- When ordering merchandise on a multi-store PO, a user can generate an ASN for each store so each store knows what merchandise to expect. When the merchandise arrives at the store, a user can generate a voucher from the ASN to receive the items ordered on the PO into inventory.
When the merchandise listed on the ASN arrives, you can look up the ASN and generate a voucher. A separate area, Batch Receiving, enables you to do a batch update of multiple ASNs.
Shipping Packages on ASNs
Retailers often use Shipping Package Numbers to track shipments. You can edit an ASN to add Shipping Package Numbers. As each pallet, carton or other unit is scanned, the Shipping Package is automatically marked as Received. When all shipping packages have been received for an ASN, the ASN is automatically marked as ready for batch update.
ASNs - Basic Steps
- ASNs are typically generated from a source document (e.g. a PO or a slip). In the case of POs, a user can generate an ASN from the PO. Alternatively, a user can create a new ASN voucher and enter a reference PO number. In the case of out slips, an ASN is generated automatically when a user updates an out slip.
- (Optional) If using package numbers, from the ASN select Options > Shipping Packages and scan/add package numbers.
- Add/edit fees, shipping, etc. and save the changes.
- When the merchandise arrives at the store, generate a voucher or use batch receiving to mark and update multiple vouchers.
You can control access to specific ASN features using the following security permissions:
|ASN Vouchers - Change Associate||Allow group members to edit the Associate field on ASNs.|
|ASN Vouchers - Change Cost||Allow group members to change the cost of items on ASN vouchers.|
|ASN Vouchers - Change Price||Allow group members to change the price of items on ASN vouchers.|
|ASN Vouchers - Create/Copy||Allow group members to create a new ASN or copy an existing ASN.|
|ASN Vouchers - Deactivate/Delete||Allow group members to deactivate/delete ASN vouchers.|
|ASN Vouchers - Edit||Allow group members to edit a saved ASN.|
|ASN Vouchers - Edit Item Quantity||Allow group members to edit the item quantity of a saved ASN voucher.|
|ASN Vouchers - Enter Negative Quantity||Allow group members to enter a negative quantity for items on an ASN voucher (used for returning items).|
|ASN Vouchers - Flag Packages as Received||Allow group members to manually select the Received flag for shipping packages.|
|ASN Vouchers - Generate Receiving Vouchers||Allow group members to generate a receiving voucher from an ASN. This permission is required to perform batch receiving.|
|Automatically create after slip is updated ...||Select what should happen when a transfer slip is updated.
ASN: Generate an ASN voucher.
Voucher: Generate a receiving voucher.
|Copy received quantity from original quantity on ASN Voucher.||
If this option is selected, when a voucher is generated from an ASN, the Qty Rcvd on the voucher is populated from the Original Qty field on the ASN.
The Original Qty on an ASN is the item quantity that was listed when the ASN was first created. If the ASN references a PO, the PO Qty is copied to the Orig Qty field. The Qty Rcvd is the quantity that is actually going to be received, and this value can be edited after initial creation of the ASN. The Original Qty field cannot be edited; it remains the same even if you change the Qty Rcvd.
New ASN that references a PO
Note: You can also generate an ASN voucher from the PO using the Options button on the PO.
- Select Store Operations > Receiving.
- Select New ASN.
- Enter the PO number and press the Enter key.
- Click the PO Items button.
- Use the Item Due or All Due buttons to select the items to bring to the ASN.
- Click OK.
- Modify the Doc Qty of individual items, if needed.
- Use the Voucher Details button to enter fees, freight, discounts, etc.
- (optional) To enter package numbers, click the Options button and select Shipping Packages. Scan or type the package numbers. When finished making changes to the ASN, click the Save button. To generate a voucher from the ASN, click the Options button and select Generate Voucher. Review the voucher before updating.
Sample New ASN
Fees, Freight and Discounts on ASN that references a Purchase Order
If referencing a purchase order, any fees, freight, discounts, tax, etc. are copied to the ASN. If a voucher is generated from the ASN, the information, including a reference to the original PO#, is copied to the voucher.
ASN Document Number
When you start a new ASN, the document number is not assigned in Prism. When the document is replicated to RIL (or Retail Pro 9), a document number will be assigned.
Voucher Details on ASN Vouchers
Using the Voucher Details button, you can edit the following information: Freight, Fees, Discounts, Tax, Payment Terms, Vendor Account Number, Vendor Invoice, Comments.
Vendor Payment Terms on ASNs
The Vendor tab of the Voucher Details screen has an area for entering payment terms with the vendor. Select a payment term type from the dropdown and then enter details for the selected type. For example, if you selected "Days," you can enter up to three sets of discounts. For each set, enter the percentage discount to be received and the number of days by which payment must be received to get the discount.
Generate Voucher from ASN
- Find and display the ASN.
- Select the Options button.
- Click Generate Voucher.
- Review the generated voucher, make any needed changes, and print/update.
RP Prism Vouchers in Retail Pro 9
Select Purchasing > Vouchers from the Retail Pro 9 home screen. Find and display the voucher in Form View. The original PO# from Prism is listed in the Reference PO# field. The ASN# from Prism is displayed in the Original ASN # field.
ASN Vouchers for Transfers
This section explains how ASN vouchers are used as part of the transfer process. The process typically starts with a transfer order. The TO plans the transfer. A user then generates an out slip from the TO. By default, the preference setting "Upon Transfer Slip update generate: " is set to ASN. This means that at the same time the slip was generated, an ASN Voucher was generated.
Use ASN Lookup to find the ASN voucher. Select the voucher and click View. Notice that the ASN Voucher does not have a document number. A number will be assigned when the document is replicated to RIL.
The ASN is replicated to RIL (or Retail Pro 9) and can be viewed there. Looking at the same ASN voucher in RIL shows that an ASN # was assigned.
Go back to the ASN Voucher in Prism. Click the Options button and then select Generate Voucher.
When the voucher is generated from the ASN, the user has the option of editing the document. For example, if the user receiving the merchandise counts only 9 units instead of the 10 listed on the ASN, the user will edit the voucher. If the user editing the voucher adds or removes items or quantities, when the voucher is updated, there will be a discrepancy between the Slip and its Voucher that must be resolved in transfer verification. In our current example, the received units match the sent units so there is no discrepancy.
Next, navigate to Transfers > Transfer Verification. In Transfer Verification, the user selects the slip and its matching voucher and clicks Update Pair (or Update All).