Chapter 7. Returns
To return one or more items, you have two options, depending on whether or not you want to link the return to the original sale transaction.
- Set Item Type to Return: First list an item and then set the Item Type to "Return." You have the option of searching for the original sale receipt, but it is not required.
- Search for Receipt and select items/quantities to Return: This method requires you to link the return to the original sale. When looking up the original sale transaction, you select the items and quantities to be returned.
Setting Transaction Type to Return
Users will see a set of buttons marked Sale, Order and Return directly under the Item Lookup field. These buttons enable users to change the transaction type with a single button click. This change is especially useful when a customer wishes to return (or order) several items. When a user clicks the Return button on the transaction form, two buttons are displayed immediately below: Set Item Type and Search for Receipt.
- The Set Item Type button simply changes the transaction item type to return without linking the return to the original sale. After selecting Set Item Type, list the item being returned.
- The Search for Receipt button displays a screen for entering search criteria and selecting the original sales transaction. This method enables users to link the return to the original sale transaction.
Important! These buttons change the item type for the transaction but do not change any items already listed. To change the Item Type of existing items on the transaction, select the item in the grid, select the Item Type button and then select Return.
Note: This only changes the Item Type going forward; any sale or order items already on the transaction will retain that item type.
Link Return with Original Sale
These steps assume you are using the default configuration of with the default item type set to Sale and all item types allowed on the transaction.
- Start a new transaction and list the item being returned.
- Change the Item Type to Return. Select to search for a receipt.
- At this point, the user interface is the same as in previous versions of RP Prism. Enter search criteria and then click the Search button.
- Matching transactions are displayed. Select a transaction. Items on the transaction are displayed below.
- Select the item to be returned and then click POS - Return Item
- If the item has multiple quantities, then enter the Quantity to Return and click OK.
Setting Default Item Type to Returns
Retailers often have one or more POS stations dedicated to returns. For these POS stations, you can set the default item type to Return in Preferences & Settings > Transactions > General. Users can still select a different item type, but the initial item type will be whatever is set in preferences.
Restricting Transactions to Single Item Type
If the preference to restrict transactions to a single item type is selected, then if users change the item type, the item type will be automatically changed for all items on the transaction.
Change Item Type to Return
- Start a new transaction and list the item(s). Select the item to be returned and then touch or click the Item Type button.
- Select Return as the item type.
- A prompt to search for the original sale is displayed. Touch or click the Yes button. (If you click No, then the item's type is changed as the price is deducted from the transaction total.)
- Enter search criteria and then touch or click the Find button.
- Select a transaction. A list of items on the transaction is displayed below.
- Select the POS - Return Item button.
- If more than one unit is available for return, enter the Quantity to Return. Select a Return Reason, Touch or click the OK button to return to the transaction.
- In the Return Details area, the Return Fee Amount and/or Return Shipping Amount will update automatically based on the quantity being returned.
- Touch or click the Return to Document button and then tender and complete the transaction.
Tenders on Returns
You can control which tenders can be used for returns. In Tender Requirements preferences, select the Return checkbox for those tenders that you want to be available for returns. In addition, there is a permission Allow Other Tenders on Returns. If the permission is set to "Allow," group members can change the default tender for the return (by default, the same tender used for the sale is used for the return).
Allow other Tenders on Returns permission
If the "Allow other Tenders on Returns" permission is set to Deny, the only tenders that will appear in the drop down will be tenders that have the checkbox for Returns marked in the Tender Requirements. If none of those tenders are your "Default Give Tender" it will require you to select your tender manually.
If the permission is set to Override, the tenders that appear in the list will be all of the tenders with the checkbox for Give marked in the Tender Requirements. Selecting one of the Tenders that does not have the Return checkbox marked in Tender Requirements will prompt for Override on The Permission. If the Default Give tender is not one of your Return tenders it will require you to select your tender manually.
If The Permission is set to Allow, the tenders that appear in the list will be all of the tenders with the checkbox for Give marked in the Tender Requirements. Your Default Give tender will be the selected default tender. If your default tender has its permission set to OVERRIDE it will require you to select your tender manually.
Next Topic: Void Item